Hello, we are the May Family
The May family has been farming for over 100 years in beautiful British Columbia. Today, there are over 50 Mays, all with families, still growing cranberries within a mile of the homestead. It's a good, wholesome lifestyle - working with family and making memories. Now, four generations work together during the harvest. Our traditions and love and respect for the land are a way of life we are proud to pass on to the next generation.
Our Favourite Recipe - Roast beef tenderloin with cranberry-red wine sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) olive oil
- 1 - 2 lb. (1Kg) center-cut beef tenderloin
- salt and pepper
3 tablespoons (45mL) butter
1/3 cup (75mL) minced shallots
1 cup (250mL) red wine
1 cup (250mL) Ocean Spray(R) 100% Juice Blend - Cranberry
3/4 cup (175mL) beef broth
1 teaspoon(5mL) chopped fresh thyme.
Heat oven to 425°F (218 °C). Spray small rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Heat oil in large wide skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until browned on all sides, reducing heat to medium if necessary. Place beef on baking sheet; season beef with salt and pepper. Reserve skillet.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until internal thermometer reaches 132 to 135°F (56 to 57°C) for medium-rare. Let stand loosely covered 10 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon (15mL) of the butter to reserved skillet and melt over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 1 minute. Add garlic and cook 20 seconds. Add wine and increase heat to high. Add cranberry juice, beef broth and thyme and boil 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened (you’ll see the bottom of the pan as you stir). Reduce heat to medium and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter; strain. Makes 6 servings
BC Growing Region
There are over 60 grower owners located in BC in the fertile lower Fraser Valley and on Vancouver Island. We take pride in the fact that our province is the largest producer of cranberries in Canada, averaging about 84 million pounds of fruit every year. Approximately 95% of our cranberries are processed into juice, sauce, sweetened dried cranberries and other healthy products. The other 5% are sold fresh to families all over the world.